Thursday, April 7, 2011

Max and Mary.

I just came home from meeting with nathan. he POP-ed today and had the day off. so we just impromptu-ly decided to meet for a movie since we both have been wanting to watch the movie "Mary and Max" and also, i didn't have school and i AM still sick of studying. so, anyway, the moment i stepped into my house, i rushed for the laptop because i wanna blog my emotions out. i am still abit tipsy from the can of beer we had.



this movie, Max and Mary, is going to be one of the most fucking unforgettable movies in my ENTIRE life. i fucking swear. i can't remember the last time i cried so much for a movie before and its not even about romance. i cried so much, i had to bite my lips to prevent self from wailing. and 4 hours after the movie, the sad feeling is so fucking deeply etched in my heart. i really don't know if i can feel happy again. even during dinner, i only ate the tempura [leaving the rice alone] because i was just so fucking filled with emotions. even nathan was emo [though he is also emo about his army stuff.]

at this state, with so much emotions, i probably cannot give you an accurate picture of what the movie was about. so click on the header of this post and it will link you to a blogpost i felt described very accurately the emotions felt and the story line.

the happy moments were so bloody happy and funny. like how Mary thought that babies came from the bottom of beer mugs. and Max thought that babies came from eggs laid by different women. if you're a jewish, a catholic nun laid you. if you're atheist, you're probably laid by a prostitute. and so on. Max and Mary were not romantically involved, they were mere penpals. Mary from Australia, Max from the USA. when Mary mailed Max, she was 8 years old and he was 48 years old [i think]. both of them had no friends and they all came from broken and dysfunctional families. so they were the only friends in their lives. sigh. i keep thinking about the sad bits, especially when the last present Max gave to Mary was a candy saying, "Love yourself first".





i just cannot use words to describe how fucking fabulous this movie was. me and nei were expecting the movie to be like "hereafter". ATAS looking but turned out to be clueless to us. but this, had SO MUCH SUBSTANCE. every single line said, every plot, every story, every character seemed like they were constructed with meaning. to the society. it seems abit like they were mocking the society. but omfg. it was so fucking fucking awesome and i really thank god i watched it before i died. fucking fucking awesome.

sigh. after that we went to drink a little before going home.. where i teared on the bus as i thought about the movies. i cant believe he never got to see her... when she was the most important person in his life. i don't know. i can't think straight. i am just so bloody fucking emotional. keep talking to shirley tan [gerald's ex tutor who recommended the movie] ....

SIGH! i'll end with some really great quotes from the movie... [UPDATE: just reading the script all over again just filled my eyes with tears.]

Most most memorable quote: "Dr. Bernard Hazelhof said if I was on a desert island, then I would have to get used to my own company - just me and the coconuts. He said I would have to accept myself, my warts and all, and that we don't get to choose our warts. They are part of us and we have to live with them. We can, however, choose our friends, and I am glad I have chosen you. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. the opening line:
"Mary Dinkle's eyes were the colour
of muddy puddles.


Her birthmark, the colour of poo. "


2. Mary's dreams:

"
Her favourite tea bag was Earl Grey.


She loved saying "Earl Grey"


and would like one day to marry
someone called Earl Grey.


They would live
in a castle in Scotland,


have 9 babies, 2 ducks...


..and a dog called Kevin."

3. Max's last letter to Mary, which saved her from committing suicide.

"
Dear Mary,


please find enclosed
my entire Noblet collection


as a sign that I forgive you.


When I received your book,
the emotions inside my brain


felt like they were in a tumble dryer,
smashing into each other.


The hurt felt like when I accidentally
stapled my lips together.


Ow!


The reason I forgive you
is because you are not perfect.


You are imperfect, and so am l.


All humans are imperfect,


even the man outside my apartment
who litters.


When I was young,
I wanted to be anybody but myself.


Dr Bernard Hazelhof said
if I was on a desert island


then I would have to get used
to my own company


just me and the coconuts.


He said I would have to accept myself,
my warts and all,


and that we don't get to choose
our warts.


They are a part of us
and we have to live with them.


We can, however, choose our friends


and I am glad I have chosen you.


Dr Bernard Hazelhof also said


that everyone's lives
are like a very long sidewalk.


Some are well paved.
Others, like mine,


have cracks, banana skins
and cigarette butts.


Your sidewalk is like mine
but probably not as many cracks.


Hopefully, one day
our sidewalks will meet


and we can share
a can of condensed milk.


You are my best friend.
You are my only friend.


Your American penpal,
Max Jerry Horowitz."

4. the ending:

Max had died peacefully
that morning


after finishing his final can
of condensed milk.


You are my best friend.
You are my only friend.


He smelt like liquorice
and old books, she thought to herself,


as tears rolled from her eyes


the colour of muddy puddles.

REMINDER TO SELF: THE SCRIPT FOR MARY AND MAX.



No comments:

Post a Comment